Thursday, February 2, 2017

Global School Play Day

My students had so much fun during Global School Play Day yesterday!  This was a day of unstructured play that was supervised by teachers.  It was so nice to have the opportunity to play with other children in first grade and kindergarten.  What was even more wonderful and touching was the sharing, turn taking, collaboration, and kindness I witnessed among students throughout the day.  Kids were helping other kids problem solve or teaching each other new games.  I loved seeing their creativity! 



 My class's favorite part of the day was arts and crafts!  


The block center was also a big hit!


Our school nurse, Mrs. Marshall, also invited us to the gym for a mini BOKS session.  The students played Fruit Basket as well as a relay game that involved squatting and collecting cups to work together as a team to build a cup tower.  BOKS is a before school program and the next session will be starting soon.  I loved my students' teamwork and sportsmanship!


It's amazing that play helps with brain development, increases children's imaginations, develops their self-control, problem solving, and critical thinking skills in the areas of math and science as well as enhances self-esteem and language skills.  My goal is to encourage more unstructured play here at school.  I hope you will consider doing the same at home.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment