Thursday, May 19, 2016

10 Star Thursday

My class has done it again...they earned another ten whole-class clip ups.  They are pretty amazing, right?!  I knew I had to think hard about some fun and exciting activities as these kids deserved something extra special.  We had the perfect day for it too!  The weather was gorgeous, which was especially nice since we spent most of the day outside.

We started the morning off by putting the fun in Fundations.  It was surprisingly warm at 9:30 in the morning.  The kids were eager to put their learned knowledge of trick words and digraphs to the test in the activities below.
First, a digraph sort.  Children had to read a word with a digraph that was taped to a beanbag, then try to toss it into the hoop with the matching digraph.  Miss Alexis helped me prep for this event by writing the words on the index cards and taping them to the bean bags.  It has been nice to have an extra set of helping hands!


Next up, soccer skills came in handy as students had to dribble the ball around cones that had trick words taped to them.  They had to read the word as they kicked the ball around the cone.  We were lucky to have Mrs. Helecki with us in the morning.  She helped run this soccer event.


Lastly, we had sight word Zingo and digraph word Jenga. 
 

And that was only FUNdations!


In the afternoon, we went out on a nature walk to prepare us for writing our spring sensory poems.  Students enjoyed walking through the courtyard and finding signs of spring.

 
I love that some kids took time to smell the flowers!


Kids were surprised to learn there is a pond in the courtyard!



We came in for a quick snack and then we were out again for planting.
Children had to scoop soil into a cup, make three holes for their seeds, and place the seeds in the holes before covering them with more dirt.  

Photos courtesy of Miss Alexis




After giving their plants a first water, my students were excited to learn they were having centers on the playground.



 
 
I just love these kids!  They make me smile each day!
 
 
Great job, girls and boys!  I hope you had fun!
Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
 
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

2 comments:

  1. Randi (Izzy's mom)May 19, 2016 at 7:07 PM

    What a great day! This post makes me wish I was in kindergarten so I could have participated in those super fun activities!!

    ReplyDelete