Thursday, February 8, 2018

Global School Play Day

My class had so much fun during Global School Play Day yesterday!  Despite the day being cut short due to snow, we crammed a lot of play into 3 and 1/2 hours.  Some kids didn't even want to stop to eat snack!  

This was a day of unstructured play that was supervised by teachers.  It was so nice to have the opportunity to play with the children and to see their imagination come alive.  They worked well together, problem solved, and amazed me with their creativity!


Mrs. Campbell donated a huge box for yesterday's activities and the children LOVED it!  I've never seen them so excited!  Of course, we had to make predictions how many students could actually fit in the box.  We fit 10, although the kids emphasized we could have squeezed more in!


I loved hearing the children share their ideas and build on each other's suggestions of what to do with this box.  It went from the possibility of a home with a rug inside, to a boat, to a McDonald's, which everyone immediately, somehow seamlessly, agreed upon and took part in creating.  The kids thoroughly enjoyed taking each other's order, making the food, and manning the register. 

Thankfully Mr. Sam came to the rescue and cut out a door and window for us!  He's the best!









To my surprise, shortly before the end of the school day, someone suggested the box should transform to a library with books inside and they made the inside cozy with a bean bag and blanket.


I love that they took the time to decorate the McDonald's turned library with colorful pictures and glued on circular windows.  I enjoyed watching them play!

The kids' creativity also shined through with random paper rolls and other odds and ends I've been collecting.  I like how they figured out ways to bring their interests of sports and exercise into the day.


Some of us even tried to learn how to juggle with our new scarves.  A couple second grade friends joined us as well!


I think everyone can agree that it was the best early release day ever!  I don't know about the kids, but I was exhausted when I got home and ended up falling asleep on the couch for a few hours!

It's amazing that play helps with brain development, increases children's imaginations, develops their self-control, problem solving, and critical thinking skills in the areas of math and science as well as enhances self-esteem and language skills.  My goal is to encourage more unstructured play here at school.  I hope you will consider doing the same at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment